Share/Bookmark

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Dayna Kempson Schacht

Every parent’s worst nightmare is to have something happen to their child, especially in a horrific and tragic way. The parents of 23-year old Dayna Kempson Schacht have had double the pain that most parents go through when losing a child, especially because the video of their daughter’s horrific car crash was sent to them via cell phone.



Dayna Kempson Schacht was a beautiful mother of two who lost control of her car last July and hit a patch of trees. She was killed instantly. A couple of months after she passed away, her parents received a video message on their cell phone, complete with footage of Dayna right after the crash. The worst part is that the video was taken by one of the first responders on the scene of the accident.

Dayna’s father, Jeff Kempson said, “It was bad enough that we lost our daughter. And now to have to deal with something like this, it’s just beyond words.”

In the video, someone is talking in the background and says, “Hold that down for me. That’s really bad. Oh my God.”

The video was shared between other firefighters and then eventually went viral.

Dayna’s mother, Lucretia Kempson can’t get the image of the video out of her mind and says, “When I close my eyes, it’s not fair that that video is what I see of my daughter.”

Why this person chose to shoot such a horrific video is beyond me, but I can’t help but think that Dayna’s poor parents are vicitms of a form of cyber-bullying. We typically think of cyber-bullying only happening to kids and young adults, but what other label can be put on such a horrific act?

Have advances in technology pretty much extinguised people having a conscience?

My heart and prayers go out to Dayna’s parents, and the two children she left behind. I hope and pray that the video is destroyed so that they never have to see it.

Share