Share/Bookmark

Friday, February 26, 2010

Ohno disqualified -- 2010 Winter Olympics


Apolo Ohno was disqualified for pushing a skater after appearing to win the silver medal in the Olympic 500 meter short track speedskating race.
Canada's Charles Hamelin gets gold and teammate Francois-Luis Tremblay won bronze. Si-Bak Sung of Korea won silver.

Ohno races again tonight in the relay. Ohno has an American record seven Winter Olympic medals.
Ohno won gold in the 500 in 2006.
Ohno appeared to push Tremblay in the final turn. It was a slight touch, but as Ohno explained earlier in the Games it only takes a slight touch in the corner to send a skater flying.
"I was in fourth the whole way and there was no space to move up," Ohno said. "I kept waiting and waiting and waiting and on the last corner I ran up on the Canadian guy. I put my hand up so I wouldn't turn into him. There was just no space to move up.
"Either way I'm happy with how I skated. I have no regrets."

Share